St Mary’s Quay Development Gains Further Funding

St Mary's Quay

The Council has received funding of almost £260,000 to develop plans for the upgrade of St Mary’s quay.

The plan, which was scaled back from that originally proposed under the Route Partnership project, which failed to gain Government backing earlier this year, is to widen and lengthen the quay with better passenger and freight facilities.

The Council’s Strategic Investment Manager, Diana Mompoloki, says the grant from the Department for Transport will allow the appointment of a specialist marine engineering company, AECOM.

They will draw up the final designs and manage the project through the tendering process.

The Council is working in partnership with the Steamship Company and the Duchy of Cornwall. In addition to the DfT money, £25,000 will be provided by the Council, with another £10,000 coming from the Duchy of Cornwall and £5,000 from the Steamship Company.

Diana says if everything goes to plan, they would expect to apply for funding for the scheme in the later part of 2012 with the work starting in Spring 2013.

It’s estimated to cost around £8m and funding will come jointly from the Government and Europe,

Chris Gregory, Land Steward for the Duchy of Cornwall, who own the quay, said he was delighted with the financial assistance, which will be of “enormous help in designing a cost effective scheme that will help secure the link for the future.”

Mike Hicks, Chairman of the Council of the Isles of Scilly said the plans, “will move us much closer to improving the St Mary’s Quay experience for residents and visitors to the Islands and will create much better facilities for the ships that serve our daily needs.”

He added, “St Mary’s Harbour is the Islands’ lifeline and this investment will help secure its future.”

However, the DfT has said funding, is dependent on the Penzance Harbour upgrade plans being ready.

That has caused concern, as there is a strict time limit on availability of the EU grants.

The project here in Scilly is thought to be at a more advanced stage of planning than that on the mainland, which is only at the public consultation stage at present.

Penzance Town Council has received £69,000 of funding to develop options for their scheme although the final selection is not expected until February next year.

The first public consultation event will take place in St John’s Hall in Penzance next Thursday at 7.30pm.

 




3 Responses to St Mary’s Quay Development Gains Further Funding

  1. Adam Morton,St.Martins November 18, 2011 at 1:09 pm

    Am i reading the numbers right twenty, ten and five thousand?hell my offers six. Does that mean i can then say what happens too.
    Its a bit sickening that all the rest of the funds come from our tax indirectly and then we will have to pay extra freight cos the boats new and then its landed on a new quay.
    Also if visitor number are down why do we need a bigger quay, ours is nicer than penzances anyway. we on the off islands pay 25% extra already.

  2. Billy November 17, 2011 at 8:54 am

    Why are the Council putting in £20k, the Duchy putting in £10k, and the Steamship Co only putting in £5k?
    In fact, you could argue why they are putting in any money at all as it all but secures their position as the numero-uno ferry operator for this route in the future.
    I don’t know.

  3. Gordon Bilsborough November 15, 2011 at 5:43 pm

    This is indeed encouraging news. The only worrying caveat is that Penzance Town Council must agree on the plans to upgrade Penzance Harbour within a comparatively short timescale. Judging by the experiences of delays due to endless bickering by various groups in the past, the omens are not good. Let us hope Penzance Town Council does not throw out the baby with the bath water and lose the potential funding (as happened before).
    Gordon Bilsborough
    Isles of Scilly