Cat Owners Warned After Suspected Poisoning

Islands' vet, Heike Dorn

Cat owners in Rams Valley are being warned to keep an eye on their pets after two cats died of suspected poisoning over the past fortnight.

Owner Debby Crane asked islands’ vet Heike Dorn for a post mortem after she lost two of her animals in separate incidents.

Heike said the cat’s symptoms were identical and their organs were intact, which suggests rat poison was ingested.

She says the signs that a cat has eaten poison may not be that obvious and any unusual behaviour should be noted. She has an antidote to the rat poison and if the pet is brought to her in time she could save it.

Heike says it’s hard to say how far the cats may have travelled but asks all Rams Valley residents to make sure there’s no obvious poison around.