Islanders To Pay Tribute to Billy Mumford

Billy Mumford

A large turnout is expected today as islanders pay tribute to a former chairman of council who passed away recently.

Billy Mumford was a Councillor for three decades and took the lead role from 1981 to 1985.

He set up the butchers with George Woodcock.

The Market, as it was known, was based on the ground floor of the Town Hall, in the space currently used by the Admin Department.

It moved to new purpose-built premises in 1953 – now the deli.

Billy was involved with many islands’ groups and organisations, and was a tennis player and member of the amateur dramatic society and Entertainers.

He also played a significant role in the Masons for 75 years after founding the Godolphin Lodge.

Billy was able to trace his ancestors in the islands back to the 1700s but was proud of the current generation, his children and grandchildren and their achievements.

He was always known to then simply as Pom.

After ill-health he has spent the last 13 years in Park House where the family say he was well cared for and much loved by all of the staff.

His funeral will be led by Rev Gibbs at two o’clock at the Methodist church.