Staff Shocked By Teenagers Swimming In Harbour

St Mary's Harbour

St Mary’s Harbour staff say they were stunned yesterday morning when they saw teenagers trying to swim across the harbour.

A number of boatmen shouted warnings at the youngsters who decided to try and reach the harbour steps by swimming from their boat at one of the busiest times of the day, just after 11am.

One was paddling with a duffle bag across his back.

Some of the youngsters chose to swim and were accompanied by their friends who decided to use their inflatable.

Harbourmaster Dale Clark said he was disappointed that they seemed indifferent after receiving a warning.

Mike Shave says he’s never known anyone to try and swim across a busy working harbour in his 12 years of service.

6 Responses to Staff Shocked By Teenagers Swimming In Harbour

1. George Kershaw July 4, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Two guys were picked up right in front of me as I arrived at the harbour coming in from Tresco they were by the Kingfishers moorings heading to somewhere near the Harbourside..another guy was between the lifeboat and the Kingfishers moorings he was also picked up.

2. Glynne Lucas July 3, 2011 at 5:46 pm

When we were kids we swam off the Old Quay as soon as school was finished and sometimes we ventured down to the New Quay in the evening to jump off the back wall or the end of the quay. We NEVER swam in the main harbour during the day, we had more sense.

3. Fiona Robson June 27, 2011 at 10:30 am

Yes indeed John. I can remember jumping off the end of the ‘new quay’ at high tide and climbing up the ladder to get back up. We also learned to dive and swim under water off the lifeboat slip. Happy days! It now has to be a very warm day for me to contemplate swimming, only been in twice this year.

4. Jennifer June 26, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Just want to say it is not just the ribs that are coming into the harbour too fast! A local catamaran is OFTEN seen by us racing into and from the harbour, guess that is ignored because of the families strong links to IOS Council!

Any idiot who swims in a busy harbour gets what they deserve, where were the parents of these kids? Are the kids local or visitors who know no better?

5. John Hicks June 25, 2011 at 4:30 pm

My, how things have changed. we were always swimming in the harbour when we were kids and no one turned a blind eye. Health & safety I s’pose. I wont say ‘gone mad’ as I can see that with so many more boats now using the harbour, especially these fast ribs, that the danger is a littlemore inherent, but does it really warrant this article?

• George Kershaw June 27, 2011 at 9:55 am

Hi John.
      I saw these guys swimming in as I was arriving into the harbour.
      The time was actually about 10.15 and they were swimming from their yacht to approx the middle steps where at least 3 boats were waiting to leave along with the independents and mail boat and lyonesse all ready to go.
      When you see that you realise that what they were doing was a stupid thing to do..
      I have to admit I thought it was a daft idea to try and swim into the “business” area of the quay at that particular time.