Quay Upgrade Projects To Be Restarted

St Mary's Quay

The Route Partnership quays upgrade project is back on.

But two different groups are driving it in two places.

Our islands’ Council and the Duchy of Cornwall are working together on plans to salvage the St Mary’s harbour aspect of the scheme, which failed to secure Government cash earlier this year.

On Monday, Council and Duchy officials met with the Regional Development Agency in Truro to thrash out plans that could lead to a funding bid for European and Department for Transport cash.

The scheme would be based on the plans that the public have already seen. It would heighten the harbour wall to prevent storm overtopping and separate passenger and freight traffic.

The cost would be between £10M and £12M.

There’s no name for the group yet but we understand the Gateway Project is being suggested and Council Chief Executive, Philip Hygate will be in the Chairman role.

Penzance Harbour

On the mainland Andrew George MP says he is making progress with plans for the community to develop an upgraded harbour facility for Penzance.

A steering group met in his office on Thursday, including the Steamship Company and the objectors who opposed the Battery Rocks plan.

Our Council says it’s also involve but did not attend the meeting – the Royal Visit is being given as the reason.

Cornwall Council did not attend and have previously said they are washing their hands of the project.

The MP hopes that a project team will soon be appointed and that alternative plans will be presented to both the Department for Transport and the European Convergence Programme early in 2012.

He says they hope to find a lower cost and more popular plan than that previously proposed.

In an email to Transport Secretary, Norman Baker, Andrew George says the plan will be designed to harmonise with the Steamship Company’s proposed ship options although when we followed this up with the Steamship Company boss, Jeff Marsden, he told us they haven’t decided on the best boat for the job yet.