Councillors Approve Funding For Sailing Club

Councillors awarded £9433 to the islands’ sailing club last night.

The cash will allow the club to buy a new 4.8m rib, engine and trailer for use as a safety boat.

Last nights’ Children and Young Peoples’ committee awarded 60% of the cost – the club will match-fund the remaining 40% through their savings, obtained from membership fees and the Round the Island race.

The boat will be available for use by other organisations, such as the police, who hold a regular water safety week

The committee heard that the club has around 50 youngsters regularly involved and Merryn Smith pointed out that the club has been in existence for 40 years and had a track record of service. Marian Bennett backed the request for cash and said that there wasn’t a more appropriate activity for young people in the islands.

The cash will benefit youngsters for a decade and even some children not yet born, according to the Joel Williams from the council.

Chris Savill requested  a brief annual report on the use of the boat in the future.